Low Carbon Data CentreThis project would determine the viability and benefits of developing a low carbon data centre as an economic development strategy, including technical and market viability, environmental options and financial/economic feasibility. It is important to look at this opportunity in the context of growing the ICT cluster in Thunder Bay. This study is one piece of the puzzle as we explore further development of an ICT cluster.
As you are aware, there is an increased interest from all ICT players in low carbon options. Several factors are directing the growth of the low carbon data center, these include:
- High energy costs
- Inefficient energy use in the sector
- Consumer focus on environmental issues
- Continued research into renewable energy sources
This study will:
- Provide information on the partner and customer requirements and the costs and ability to meet these requirements.
- Determine community and economic benefits for such as Centre – considering impacts, strategies and developments in other areas.
- Provide best practice information and leading edge strategies for stakeholders.
- Develop recommendations for size, scope, locations and options for next stage go forward plans.